3/30/2007

Blogging: No comment

Found a great post and discussion thread on the Freakonomics blog about why people do and don’t comment on blogs. It is enlightening to see the gamut of reasons that people cite for not posting comments on a blog. Many of the reasons also beg the question of what role blogs will play in the future and whether one on one interaction is really plausible for blogs.

Here are a few of the reasons listed for not commenting:
  • No linear connection between comments and the original post
  • Intimidated by the excellent writing style of the blogger
  • Takes time to post a coherent comment
  • Need to read through other comments to avoid duplication
  • Don’t feel you have anything useful to add
  • Too many passionate views so no one will listen to your comment
  • Blogger is a SME and I couldn’t add anything
  • Read blog using a reader rather than going to the actual blog
  • Fear ridicule from other bloggers

And the # 1 reason is that many blogs require registration and login, which is time consuming and it requires you to remember your username and password.

Any comments? :-)

BTW, if you haven't read Freakonomics make sure you check it out. Even my wife enjoyed it and she wouldn't claim to know anything about economics.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know Quintus. Your post is so well written I can't think of any comment :) ROFL.

OK - I think commenting is probably an area that I can talk about as I have been a bit in overdrive last month due to the chocolate challenge. And can I say, have become really effective as a commenter (not necessarily making any sense though!).

MMMMmm so what makes me comment - 1. Well, if it is apparent that a person is a new blogger I will take the time to comment - WOW I know what it is like to feel like you are talking to yourself. 2. If what they say provokes a really positive or negative response. Although negative may not always make me respond.

For me being well written, does not have an impact on whether I respond. I can say if NOT well written then I am less likely to read the full post and hence less likely to respond. Please note I fall into the category of NOT well written- my posts are way too long!

Definitely agree - if you want someone to comment than stop making them have to log in to comment. BIG turn OFF.

Sue

Quintus Joubert said...

Hey Sue,

Your reasons for commenting reflect most of my own. The reasons I cited were from the Freakonomics blog and not my own. I am interpreting other peoples' ideas, but I think the well written comment is more a reflection of style rather than grammar. I would say that if a blog is written in a very technical and authoritative tone/style I would be less likely to comment on the blog especially if I am not a technical expert. If it is not well written I think very few people will comment..

Best,

Quintus.