12/21/2006

Blogs: Engaging the reader

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the comments. Upon reflection I think my comments on the top 19 eLearning blogs reflect the fact that blogs are still very new and much like the early websites many people are trying to figure out what the structure of a good blog should be and what content should be presented. Both of these (structure and content) are obviously very subjective and based on the objectives of the blogger.

In my case I have tried to focus on very substantive issues related to eLearning that I think people would find useful. At the moment my focus is on trying to share some of the common mistakes and misperceptions about eLearning. I started my discussion with the issue of risk and I am now moving onto the SCORM standard. Both of these discussions are focused primarily on how risk and SCORM are perceived in relation to the eLearning industry. My objectives are to demystify eLearning and to share some of my lessons learnt with customers/potential customers and developers.

I think the main challenge with blogs is to make them entertaining while at the same time sharing something that may be beneficial to a participant in the eLearning industry. A second challenge is to get people to participate in your blog. So, how to do share your thoughts/lessons learnt without seeming to be the expert (which I am clearly not). Coming across as an expert may intimidate people, lessing the chances of them responding to your blog posts. By the way, you have had great success overcoming this obstacle based on the many responses that you have got on your entertaining and educational blog.

I digress. In response to your question as to what should be discussed in blogs I would say it is very subjective and it depends on the audience that you are trying to attract. I have noticed that many of the current corporate/business blogs try to cover all the bases i.e. covering news, books, tools, articles, best practices, personal news etc. Sometimes this comes across as a little disorganized and it is hard to filter through all the information to get to the meat. Although I like the idea of a blog, I am not sure that it will be that helpful to people unless there is some sort of structure. A collection of unassociated thoughts and ideas is great if you have a lot of time to filter through the posts, but most people don’t have the time to do this. I guess my struggle at the moment is to come to grips with the blogging format and trying to decide what value I can provide to my audience. The ultimate value of a blog is to get people to engage with you and to share their ideas, rather than it being a static medium. I would love to have your thoughts on how you managed to achieve this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quintus - Welcome to the blogosphere. Just wanetd to drop some comments on your post - please take them in the spirit of open communication that makes the blogosphere work.

1. I've been blogging for 3 years on Typepad and ran an email newsletter on e-learning for 3-4 years prior to that. That makes me a veteran but by no means the longest serving blogger - not by a shot - so when you say stuff like "blogs are still very new" and that people are still trying to figure out what content and structure to use - I take exception. Check out Sifry's State of the Blogosphere for Oct 2006 - 57 million blogs - I'd hate to tell all those people that they don't have clue. Maybe the medium of blogging isn't so much new anymore as it is 'different' than what has come before. Maybe its not that people are still trying to figure them out but that other people are struggling to understand them.

2. The SCORM topic. I spent 5.5 years in the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) in the Office of Readiness and Training (R&T)- this is the office that created ADL and SCORM - and was sitting at the table when we came up with the idea for ADL Co-Labs and the awful acronym SCORM. I say all that as prelude to say that if you are going to come in and talk about issues around SCORM, then welcome to the party but be sure to check out Judy Brown, Robby Robson (Eduworks), Tom King, the Joint ADL Co-Lab prototypes and the IPA, the Academic ADL Co-Lab's SCORM School - and that's just off the top of my head. My point being - there is always room for a new voice but that this is a party that has been rolling for a while and I think that Web 2.0, SAAS, and AJAX have the power to make something like SCORM decreasingly relevant/substantive in a very short while.

3. I hope you understand that the "main challenge" you assert for blogs - is just that - your challenge. As I state in the prologue to my blog, I don't blog for my readers - I love them and I'm glad they are there but for me blogging is in large part a conversation I am having with myself while standing in the public square. Yet if you do want a challenge then feel free to take a swing at getting people to participate in your blog. I say that only as a cautionary tale - I think that new voices like yours do have the potential to add to the conversation but if you come into it with the idea that all these thousands of people are going to read what you write and then swamp you with comments - well then you definitely need to turn comment moderation off. The blogosphere is a big place and getting even the smallest fraction of that population to read you on a regular basis is a tough road. Don't get discouraged and understand that there may be times when you need to quit blogging for a while and re-group - do it - the alternative is to burn out and stop altogether and that won't help anybody.

4. Instead of struggling with the blogging format, a better battle might be to struggle to find your voice. I don't know if you have ever heard of a sports talk show host named Jim Rome but he had only two rules for callers to his show: #1 Have a take (a strong view) and #2 Don't Suck (Don't suck). These are great blogging rules. People who read blogs want authentic voices talking honestly about issues (not always life or death issues). This is what Tony has done. This is what Stephen Downes has done. This is what Jay Cross, Christopher Sessums, Brent Schlenker, Tom Crawford, Tom King, Marcia Conner, Harold Jarche, Wendy Wickham, George Siemens, Dave Lee, and Lee Kraus and a host of others have done. Find your voice and the audience will find you.

Tony Karrer said...

Quintus - couple of things:

1. There's a post and conversation going on that was sparked by your post:

http://elearningtech.blogspot.com/2006/12/common-questions-and-some-thoughts.html

Come join in the discussion!

2. My other comments never appeared, not sure if you are intentionally doing that, but it might be considered bad form in the world of blogs.

Obviously - this comment you can delete since it's only meant for you ... but normally you want to allow them through or turn them off entirely.

3. Another "form" thing is to provide links in your posts to the related links. I think your earlier blog post didn't do that.